New High Efficiency Water Heaters from Norhio Plumbing.
As of April 16, 2015, new water heaters manufactured and sold in the US will be significantly different than what you’ve grown accustomed to. And that’s according to NAECA (National Appliance Energy Conservation Act), a federal program charged with improving the energy efficiency of all household appliances…water heaters included.
NAECA Water Heater Changes in a Nutshell
- As of 4/16/15, you’ll still be able to buy conventional style gas and electric storage tank waters, but the NAECA-mandated models will be, on average, 2” taller and wider to account for added insulation. This applies to all units under 55 gallons in storage tank capacity.
- On the other hand, gas and storage tank models over 55 gallons – as you’ve come to know them – will cease to exist as soon as current supplies run out. They’re being replaced by gas condensing and electric hybrid heat pump water heaters, respectively.
A gas condensing water heater is pretty much the same as the conventional gas storage tank water heaters they’ve been designed to replace, but with one important difference. Rather than venting natural or propane gas out through the system’s flue, the gas is reclaimed so that greater amounts of hot water can be generated from the same amount of gas. That improves energy efficiency, cuts down on greenhouse emissions, and will save you about $100 per year in water heater energy costs.
Hybrid Electric Heat Pump Water Heaters Aurora
Think of a fridge working in reverse, and then you’ll get the concept of an electric hybrid water heater. The heat pump component of a hybrid system draws in warm, ambient air to assist in heating the water inside the storage tank. The net result? You can expect to save more than $350 per year in water heater operating costs.
Tankless Water Heaters Aurora
Tankless water heaters are a different animal entirely, and actually have been around for several years.
As their name indicates, tankless water heaters have no storage tank at all. Instead, water is heated in the system’s wall-mounted heat exchanger. Here’s how a tankless water heater could benefit you and your family:
- Effective lifespan up to 20 years.
- Fewer repairs than storage tank water heaters, because there are fewer working parts.
- They free up additional floor/storage space, and can be mounted virtually anywhere, even inside a closet.
Plus, at Norhio Plumbing, we can design a tankless water heater system for your whole house or a “point-of-use” system, one specifically designed for a single purpose, such as your washing machine, or perhaps even a new bathroom addition.
Learn More or Call for an In-Home Proposal
To learn more about high efficiency water heaters, or to schedule a new system quote and consultation, contact your local water heating professionals at Norhio Plumbing today.